Tuesday 20 May 2014

HELP-Too much mileage

Posted by Саша 22:47, under | No comments


HELP--Too much mileage? HELP--Too much mileage?

So because of knee issues I'd been advised to alternate swimming days with running days this summer, and I've been doing so for like the past 2 or 2.5 weeks. However this means that my weekly mileage has been pretty low for distance training- about 30 ish miles per week of running (on swimming days I would swim for about 40 minutes just making sure I was breathing hard - I'm not really a swimmer.) I'm in high school & training for XC, so this coming week I'll be going to running camp with my team, and since I'm in the top girl's running group we'll be getting in about a 50-55 mile week. I'm scared that this rapid increase will like... break me. But I have no choice, I can't drop out of camp now and nobody knows that I've been cutting down my mileage to swim. I'm going to try and get in about 40 miles this week, but will this amount of intense mileage at camp hurt me??


Other Answers:




Instead of swimming run in deep water. Stand up like you are running and run without touching the bottom of the pool. This will take the strain off of your body and give you a hard work out. Swimming is good for your cardiovascular system, but does not do the same type of training for your legs as does running. Jumping up from 30 per week to 40 this week may be a strain on your legs and body, but going to 50-55 on 30 per week is really going to test you. Be safe and tell your coach what is happening. If you suddenly drop out she will know something is wrong so don't let her think you have not been training. It will be better to get through the camp without a season ending injury.









0 коммент.:

Post a Comment