Tuesday 25 March 2014

Fantasy Novels and Descriptions

Posted by Саша 00:11, under | No comments


Fantasy Novels and Descriptions....? Fantasy Novels and Descriptions....?

When you read a fantasy novel, do you want the author to go on for several pages describing how beautiful the scenery is, so that you get a clear picture of how it looks? Or do you think that this makes the story drag on unnecessarily?

Or do you prefer descriptions that are short and concise, so that you are allowed to use your imagination to visualize how to rest of the scenery looks. And do you think that short descriptions help your story to flow and keep a good pace?


Other Answers:




This all comes down to skill and how the descriptions are worked into the story's flow.

I cannot stand drawn out description, just for descriptions sake, when it does not apply to the current plot thread.

For example, I have read several Ann Rice novels but some of the details makes me want to toss the book in the stove - even though I may enjoy the book overall.

What it comes down to for me is how well the story holds me in. How long can I actually see the story unfold in my head, not even realizing I'm turning pages. If I find myself pausing to think "why so much description here" it pulls me out of the story an reminds me I am just reading a book.



I like long-winded fantasy novels.



keep it short. many readers skip over the description; even if you do keep it in an editor would most likely take it out. it's best to use a single word that captures the thing it's describing decently without dragging on the story, preferably a word that isn't too long and people know what it means



I love epic fantasy novels, but I admit that I tend to skim a bit when the descriptions begin to drag.

0 коммент.:

Post a Comment