Monday 9 December 2013

Betta tank divider suitability

Posted by Саша 21:11, under | No comments


Betta tank divider suitability? Betta tank divider suitability?

Hi, I have a betta who I keep in a 5 gallon (19 litre) tank, with heater, filter and live plants.

I would really like another betta because they are such lovely fish. But I don't really have the space or money to buy another tank. And I'm not going to buy one of those betta 'tanks' they sell at my usual pet shop which are like 1 litre -_- . So I tried putting in a tank divider today to see how my betta liked it (I haven't bought a second fish yet). I cut up a bit of black flexible plastic, drilled a row of maybe 30 small holes in the back side (where the filter flows against), and then some more slits at the bottom where it comes out of the gravel. The water flow isn't too strong in the half with the filter, and seems to move fairly well around the sides of the divider (the divider isn't fastened to the sides of the tank - it is just wedged in there, and supported by burying it at the bottom in the gravel. There is a tiny gap at the sides. It goes all the way to the lid so they can't jump over).

So my questions are:
1. Opinions online seem to be mixed as to whether 5 gallons is big enough for 2 bettas. Most websites seem to recommend 2.5 gallons per betta so I think it would be ok. But any thoughts? (Btw, my current betta seems to hang around one side of the tank 90% of the time anyway, which is what gave me the idea).

2. Does this sound like a suitable divider?

3. Will the bettas be able to see each other though the tiny holes? I don't want them to see each other and hurl themselves at the divider. I don't think they will - I chose an opaque divider to prevent this. But I want to make sure.

Thanks!


Other Answers:




The divider sounds good. Don't listen to Jlw, betta fish will all fight unless you have 5 or more females in a 29 gallon. Even then, theres a chance that they may fight.



1.Its fine the two combined would be a little ofer 5 inches but they would be ok

2.yep

3.probally not

on a side not if you want another betta you could always get a female (only males fight to the death) the only differnce between the two is that the female has short fins just as colorful though



Good job. I raise Bettas and have kept them in 2l of water for years. I change the water weekly 100%.



Hi Pookie -

Funny, I just posted same Q a couple hrs ago. I did buy a 2nd Betta fem. She'd been at LFS at least a month and I just couldn't say No to her one more time. Our Q's differ in that I was only interested in if they could co-habitate. I'm getting excellent feedback. Looks like a No for me, not a problem, I have plenty of other places to put her still...I was hoping.

The black plastic sounds good - what came to mind is if they fixate on each other, even w/ the tiny holes, I can visualize them trying to go nose to nose. Then possible nose injury or cuts. Plastic being pliable but can still have sharp edges from cutting the holes.

I do believe even w/ tiny holes they will know of each others existence but soon realize the futility of going at each other and move on to other interests.

As soon as you put 2nd fem in they will discover for you the weak spots in your design, while how you designed the partition sounds great I am not after anyone on the other side!
Then you can plug up the weak spots.

On tank size per fish I've found esp. w/ Betta lovers, like me, they can tend to be a bit over zealous at times on just how much room they need to be happy.
My 1 fem is just as happy in the one gal. as my fem in the 10 gal.
Like you said they tend to kind of hang out in one spot.
2.5 gal. each sounds wonderful!
I say go for it and best wishes,

Angie

0 коммент.:

Post a Comment